Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Just a Start

Most women at my age blog about beauty/make up, fashion, and food, and other girly things but mine is different. I decided to create this blog as a way to express my journey, not to become skinny, but to become the fittest I’ve ever been in my life. A week ago or so I had decided that I want to “grow” a 2 or 4 pack by the time my birthday comes around in February. Quite frankly, it makes sense because I'm making a realistic goal. I’m 24 years young, full time grad student, part time certified athletic trainer, full time daughter and girlfriend. With the help of my boyfriend, who helped me become passionate about fitness, he has changed my views about finding the balance between weight loss and being fit.
See, there’s a difference between “skinny” and “fit.” When I think of being skinny I think of being unhealthy. Why? Because there are fine print that comes with such a goal. There’s your psychological and physiological battle within your self once you look at your self in the mirror and compare it with that model in Vogue ad. Some women experience body dysmorphia, anorexia, bulimia, and other eating psychological disorders. Why do we women do this to ourselves? For social approval? Or to fight the voices in our head that say “Don’t let other people see you eat!” This torture is deadly. There was an article where it found celebrities who regret getting plastic surgery which included Tara Reid with a messed up stomach after getting a tummy tuck because she wanted to have a sculpted abs (http://www.thefrisky.com/photos/357-12-stars-who-regret-having-plastic-surgery/plastic-surgery-regrets-g8-jpg/). Again, the easy way out is presented here. We have more to live for than being skinny… We should strive to be healthy! Even if it’s just to smile and laugh.
Now, being fit is different. I, myself, have been active for most of my life, from participating in sports from elementary to high school, taking up running at one point, taking a cardio kickboxing class, and a bunch of other stuff. Back then I wanted to be “skinny.” I wanted to feel beautiful in everything that I wore, but most of all I wanted to feel… happy with myself. Throughout high school and college I never really was happy with the way I looked. I hid behind baggier clothes and displayed myself as a tomboy. This lead me to a handful of times were I would breakdown because I was so frustrated with lack of results and progress. Today, with the help of my very supportive boyfriend, I have been lifting weights for about a year and a half. Through YouTube I have also found additional exercises to make my workouts more stimulating and challenging instead of boring and routine. Within the year and a half I have more definition in my upper arms, shoulders, legs, calves, and reduction of … stuff in my belly. Even my jean sizes have decreased! Never have I seen a 6 until I bought a pair of khaki’s that I needed for work. But… then I realized that this one pair of jeans that I’ve had for quite some time has been a 6…. whoops. haha. 
Another big key to this journey is my diet. When women think of diets, more often than not it’s a bell that rings “short cut!” Becoming fit, healthy, and happy is no short cut. Eating clean has been very helpful with my goals. Buying produce at the farmers market is the best for you, your wallet, and the local economy. Looking up various recipes you want to try out is always an experiment because you can always tweak them to your liking. You can get very creative with your diet. Why spend money on fad diets that may just end up discouraging you even more because it’s not what is RIGHT for YOU? Clean eating is essential. For example my typical day would look like this:
Breakfast- scrambled eggs (one whole egg, 2 egg whites), a serving of old fashioned oatmeal sprinkled lightly with cinnamon, and a small bowl of blueberries or fruit.
Mid-Morning meal: Multigrain crackers w/ goat cheese and slices of tomato
Lunch- Protein shake (one scoop of whey protein) in 16oz of almond milk, and fruit or veggies
Afternoon meal: Whole wheat bread + thin layer of almond butter
Dinner: 2 sides of veggies (salad and roasted veggies), a serving of protein (chicken/beef/pork/fish), and a serving of complex carbs (Brown rice).
I’m supposed to be eating 6 “meals” in a day but it’s difficult to be honest. I would’t throw myself to start eating that much on day one, I gradually get myself there. But you should know that when your body is hungry, FEED IT WITH THE RIGHT STUFF! I fulfill my cravings with raw almonds, or whole grain pretzels, or a homemade granola bar. I drink a lot of water. I drink water wherever I am; while I’m studying, working, eating, breathing. Water is so essential to the human body and it helps flush out your system to keep it clean and functioning. 
So, I will be posting workouts, times, food/meal plans, recipes, rants, raves, and other things about my workout/fitness life and goals. I may throw in some beauty tips or whatnot. Hey, I'm a woman and would like to share some tips too, nothing wrong to feel beautiful right? Women are strong, we have brute strength inside and out, and, most of all, we are beautiful; which is how I came up with the name of my blog. Thanks for reading! 

Pic taken 9/8/2011

4 comments:

  1. Marie, you're awesome :)

    I'm excited to read your blog as it develops. And I miss you terribly!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! I hope your toe is all better :) Miss you tonnnnns!!!

      Marie

      Delete
  2. I like this part:

    "Quite frankly, it makes sense because I'm making a realistic goal. I’m 24 years young, full time grad student, part time certified athletic trainer, full time daughter and girlfriend. With the help of my boyfriend, who helped me become passionate about fitness, he has changed my views about finding the balance between weight loss and being fit."

    See, there’s a difference between “skinny” and “fit.” When I think of being skinny I think of being unhealthy. Why? Because there are fine print that comes with such a goal. There’s your psychological and physiological battle within your self once you look at your self in the mirror and compare it with that model in Vogue ad. Some women experience body dysmorphia, anorexia, bulimia, and other eating psychological disorders. Why do we women do this to ourselves? For social approval? Or to fight the voices in our head that say “Don’t let other people see you eat!” This torture is deadly.

    :) motivates me to continue to work out so i can get fit and toned ^^ also reminds me to focus of working out for my health rather than the looks of being skinny. thankss! -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! I'm so happy to have helped motivate you Jess! If you ever need any advice from a fellow woman let me know ;)

      Delete