Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Circuit Training

Circuit training is one of my go-to effective workouts for pushing myself as well as getting a great burn. If you're not aware of the benefits of circuit training it is more effective in burning calories, increasing your metabolism, as well as feeling the "afterburn" effect.  Last Thursday I had decided to time myself to see how long it would take me; I had a time of 36m 28s. Not bad but I felt like I could complete it faster. I timed my circuit again tonight, completing 3 rounds of 6 exercises. I made sure that I kept my "rest" periods short, drinking water at the end of each round instead during my rest periods. This had definitely improved my timing and kept my rhythm smooth despite having to listen to the radio as background music. 


In order:
Inclined dumbbell press - 20lbs @15 reps
Sumo squat twists + 22lb/10kg plate on my back - 10 reps each side (total of 20)
Sitting Arnold presses- 15lbs @12-15reps
Deadlifts- 95lbs @15reps (round 2 and 3 I increased it to 100lbs@12reps. whew!!)
Cable Row- 45lbs @15reps
Alternating lunge jumps + twists w/ medicine ball- 12lbs@10reps each side (total of 20)


I completed the workout in 29m 15s! Damn what a difference!! I had thought about making my goal to about 33 min but, hell, I'll take this! haha I definitely had a good sweat going on, going down my sternum and a sheen to my arms and legs. I felt more energized yet proud that I had pushed myself a little more to get through the workout. I know I should stretch after I cool down and all but, I'm not gonna lie, I was staaaaarrrvving for dinner! So, I just drove straight home trying not to think of my stomach gurgling at me. 


Dinner consisted of steamed broccoli, sauteed green beans in olive oil with chopped shallots, salt and pepper; 1/2 cup of brown rice, and approx. a cup/cup and a half of flank steak cut into bite size pieces. Then an Asian pear as my "dessert." Very filling yet satisfying dinner I must say. I will most likely have this dinner every night this week until about Friday-ish. 


Hope everyone is having a good start to the week so far! 


Happy lifting! 


- Marie

1 comment:

  1. Heya Marie-chan! Great circuit routine u got goin on and good job on exceeding ure goal! We needa have a cooking night w/ jon and james again. I wanna learn how to cook the dinner u described above. Sounds very healthy, yummy, and satisfying.

    On another note, I got approved for financial aid for the Y!!! I'm gonna begin my membership again soonish. I jes gotta adjust my schedule if I wanna workout w/ jon :<

    ReplyDelete