Thursday, November 29, 2012

If there's a will...


It’s the holiday season, and it’s the season of shopping, slacking off at work more so, Christmas music, and, most importantly, eating. Indulging in our favorite foods and other foods we probably don’t eat on a normal basis. Thanksgiving was a slight deal breaker on my diet. I’m sure it was for everyone but my mom and I had made our dinner quaint and a little healthier than your traditional thanksgiving foods. Then, 2 hours later, I had another round with Jonathan’s family and then another trip to a family friend’s just for dessert. All in a span of 5 hours, ya feel me?? There was a lot of dessert… but I managed only to eat a slice of homemade pumpkin pie and homemade earl grey ice cream (well… what was left of it anyway). As the days went on my appetite grew. Why? Because I eat like a damned bottomless pit before my monthly visitor arrives (if you are a man reading this, don’t make me revoke your man card…). I eat as if I didn’t eat for a day. I don’t have bad cravings for fast food or anything like that. I just get hungry and will put whatever tastes good into my belly, be it chocolate, tortilla chips, fruit, pasta, pizza, salad, sushi etc. And when my visitor arrives, it arrives with such force that makes me go into self-deprecating mode for a couple hours, then I’m cheery, then I want to strangle someone or beat someone’s face in. On top of that my gut is bloated, not exactly encouraging looking at myself in the mirror. Why not take meds for that stuff? Because I don’t need to, unless I am groaning and crying on the floor in fetal position since my cramps are literally destroying me from the inside. I am a tough mofo and I don’t want/need chemicals in my body.

Anyway, on top of having 5 days off of work, I spent only 1 working out. That is pitiful. I am angry with myself and greatly disappointed. I went shopping with friends on Saturday and Sunday, lots of walking around is involved with that. On Monday I had spent almost the entire day of giving massages. That can be quite the physical activity I tell ya, especially in a very warm room. I guess I can say I did some form of physical activity but doesn’t cut it the way lifting does. All in all I didn’t just sit on my ass the 5 days off. I was always doing something but I just can’t find the motivation to wake up my ass up early in the a.m. (I'm not THAT hardcore) and just do a quick 20 minute HIIT or AMRAP workout. It’s sad but, dammit, I love my sleep. Sleep is essential for recovering every aspect of your body and mind. With that I am not a morning person, I say that proudly. Anyone that has lived with me or knows me well enough: I don’t do early mornings. Unless I really, really have to I will wake up, then figure out if I can squeeze in a nap or just go back to bed upon return to my lovely bed.

I’m trying to find inspiration and motivation to get my fitness back on track. Sometimes it’s hard. For one thing I am doing this naturally, no creatine, no crazy pre-/post-workout crud. I cut off whey, cheese, and weaning off of other forms of dairy. The only supplements I’m taking is a daily multi-vit and fish oil. I can’t say if I notice a difference. I’ll let you know when I do. And that’s it. Everything else comes from my diet. My body is what it eats.  When I start the Paleo diet with Jonathan I’m sure results will start to show faster. Right now cutting out dairy is a good step. The next thing is complex carbs, some fruit sugars, and grains. I know that one is going to be so damn hard. I’ll admit, I fucking love noodles (all kinds) and brown rice. Can’t help it, it’s the Asian in me. If there is a will there is a way. Apparently, there’s a way to make noodles from veggies by julienne cutting them, hmmm. Again, if there is a will, there is way. 

With that, I am looking forward to having an updated picture soon. As soon as my monthly visitor disappears I’m snapping photos. And I also want to thank you to you, the reader. Whether you have been supporting me from the beginning or just checking in on my progress or just fucking bored out of your mind at work, thank you so much. If you are inspired or amused or just freaking excited for me, then thank you. It’s one thing to just spill my thoughts on here and it’s another when readers are actually paying attention. According to the counter on my last entry hit a record 52 views. It’s a tremendous number to me. So, thank you. Good luck on your goals, regardless of what they are, short or long term, don’t give up. You only fail when you stop trying.

Happy Holidays everyone!

- Marie



No comments:

Post a Comment