As of this past Wednesday I started a new part-time job in Los Altos called "The Athlete's Advantage." We offer massage/bodywork, yoga classes, yoga therapy, integrative personal training, and corrective exercise. Everythign here is manual therapy, no crazy machines to be hooked up. Just applying our knowledge with our hands. I'm really happy that I can be an Athletic Trainer and a massage therapist, otherwise there's no meaning to have to gone to school for either of these credentials. A handful of you have had sessions with me and every time you all feel better. That's my goal with each session: to make sure you feel better than you did an hour ago coming to see me. If you need my business card let me know! :D
I also moved down to San Jose renting a room in a townhouse close to Japantown. I got fed up with my Caltrain commute, I lost plenty of hours of productivity on it thanks to delays or late nights at work. I was tired of it. So renting a room was the more affordable alternative I could do. I could not have asked for better roommates. I live with 2 other girls, we're all in our late 20's early 30's so it's a nice combo to have. Oh, and a turtle named Buster who is frenemies with that weird black bottom feeder fish thing. We don't throw parties, instead we watch a lot of tv shows via Netfliex/Hulu+ thanks to Jonathan :D.
Speaking of which Jonathan and I are still healthy and happy. We are still active with our workout dates, continuing to encourage and push each other to surpass our challenges. Outside of fitness we are a very content couple. One thing we are really trying to work on is to be more open and honest with each other, especially when it comes down to whatever is going on in our minds. We have witnessed, in ours and other's relationships, when couple's expect to read each other minds or just don't communicate what is going on. We've had a few conversations so far which have really improved our relationship. Our bond is much stronger than it used to be. this takes a lot of courage and openness to just say it and receive it. It's one thing to say it and it's another to really control how one receives what the other is saying. Open conversations are a daily work in progress for us. And please don't ask "Why are you guys engaged/married yet?!" Truth is we don't have a timeline, as long as we get married before/in our 30's we'll be okay. For now we're taking things a day at a time.
What else has happened? I had a wonderful holiday season spending time with my family, my sister's fam, and Jon's family. New Year's was quiet, I started a new job, and plotting my future (career-wise that is).
Fitness wise I am a hell of a lot stronger. I 've been trying new exercises throughout my workouts. I workout 4-5x/week challenging myself every time to lift heavier. It feels good to push myself like that. My last personal records are as follows: Deadlifts-175lbs, Squats- 160lbs. Reassuring that I'm getting stronger. Hopefully my muscles will have more tone soon... Eating lifestyle hasn't been exciting. For a couple months I was doing Intermittent Fasting, where you fast for 16hours and you eat for 8 hours. I did it for a while but my motivation to continue died. So now I just eat 3 meals a day, with a snack in between meal 2 and 3. I've been eating clean/dirty with a ratio of 80/20. During the week it'll be really clean, once the weekend comes by I eat 2 cheat meals, or more depending on my monthly cycle. Jonathan has been flexible dieting, or counting his macronutrient intake. He's had a lot of success and I've expressed that I might want to do it starting next month. I'm just nervous about weighing myself everyday to get an average, and not excited about weighing out everything... We'll see what I decide to do.
Reading about other women challenging themselves getting fit and becoming healthier has been very inspiring. For example, my colleague/friend from college Sheena lost over 100lbs after moving to Louisiana, where obesity rates top the U.S. She defied that with hard work, diligence, and will power, and today she looks and feels amazing :) I give you a standing ovation Sheena! So awesome :) Another inspiring woman is LaKeisha Shurn. The woman who filmed herself going to the gym for 100days. Her video is below. To truly expose her vulnerability on social media, especially in a video, is one of the bravest things a woman can do. Breaking down, almost admitting defeat is one of the rarest things I've seen on any social media outlet. Another standing ovation to her and her immense courage to show her progress from day 1 to day 100. I hope she makes another video soon. :)
It's the new year and we all have resolutions. Resolutions need to simple and achievable. These are mine:
There are many but they are something I know I can and need to do. I taped it on my wall above my desk so it's always visable. I might actually put it as my background screen for my phone to remind myself often as well. I think another resolution I could add is to update my blog at least once a month! There's a lot going on so I need to make the time to do so.
Thank you for reading this. I know it's long but, hey, I haven't been on this for a year so forgive me. I hope you are having a great week/weekend. If you're sick get well soon! I know some of you are so please take care of your selves!

No comments:
Post a Comment